Former CIA Officer Jason Hanson Reveals...

Spy Secrets That Can

Save Your Life

Get Out Alive

Mailbag Monday

, / 1768 0

From Jeany M: Are walkie-talkies useful survival gear? What kind do you recommend?

Answer: Walkie-talkies and two-way radios are essentially the same thing and they are absolutely useful in a survival situation. You can use them to stay in contact with family or friends that are in range and you can listen to emergency alerts. The radio I personally use is the Baofeng UV-5R Plus. These sell for about $35 on Amazon and come with a charging dock to limit the hassle with batteries.

From Mario S: Is there a place online or in Los Angeles, Ca., where I can get a body camera that is not very expense or other equipment that is comparable?

Answer: I would look at the Transcend DrivePro body camera. This sells for around $300 on Amazon. I realize that isn’t cheap but when it comes to body cameras anything that is quality will cost a few hundred dollars. You can buy this online at a few different places such as Amazon or B & H Photo. This records in 1080P, provides 12 hours of battery use, and has a 64GB internal storage.

From Shar S: How do you carry a firearm through California sans a permit? I am permitted for all the surrounding states and have to visit there en route home from Arizona to Washington State. I hear it’s difficult to get a permit for California.

Answer: It’s very difficult to get a concealed carry permit in California and one of the many requirements to obtain one is that you must be a resident of the state. In addition, California does not recognize any other states permit, therefore your other permits would be worthless when traveling in California. In addition, when driving in California handguns must be stored unloaded in the trunk, vehicle storage compartment or in a locked gun case. Unfortunately, California makes it nearly impossible for citizens to get a concealed firearm permit, which is why many people commonly refer to it as “Commiefornia.”

From Ray M: How can I search the web without being tracked?

Answer: I recommend using a virtual private network (VPN), which encrypts your data you send over the internet network making it more secure. The VPN I personally use is called TunnelBear and it can be used on your computer, tablet, and smartphone. Most VPN’s charge a fee but it’s well worth the cost to keep your data safe. Some VPN’s do offer free trials but these are usually slower speeds or have data limits. No matter what you do make sure you use a VPN that is reputable and doesn’t track your history.

In addition, you’ll need to use a search engine that does not track you.  DuckDuckGo is a popular one.  In fact, a lot of our traffic comes from DuckDuckGo.  Regardless of which search engine you use, you’ll also need to make sure that you are logged out of all accounts within your browser and clear your cookies or have the browser automatically delete cookies.

If you want to take your privacy to the next level, start by checking out this article on TOR and the Darknet.

From Paul B: How do I keep my firearm quickly available for a home invasion or similar situation and yet not easily found by thieves that break in when no one is home?

Answer: Personally, I use a small safe that sits on my nightstand with a cable that goes down the back of the nightstand and is secured to a large piece of furniture. In other words, even if a criminal goes straight to the nightstand they can’t take the safe with them because the cable is secured from the safe to the furniture and it can’t be cut. Another option is to install a wall safe that can be hidden behind a picture or something else you hang near your bed. Either way, make sure your firearms are stored in some type of safe so a criminal just can’t walk off with them.

From Ken R: I am investigating home security systems since I am not at home constantly. What are some things I should look for in a good home security system? Do you make have any recommendations?

Answer: First, I would decide whether you want to install a Do It Yourself system or have a professional company come to your home and install it for you. Before deciding this I would check with your local police department and ask them if they respond to residential alarms. In most large cities police don’t respond to residential alarms and the company providing your security system usually has a security guard respond to the alarm.

Now, if you live in a small town like I do, our police department does respond to alarms so that can make a difference. For example, if you live in a big city it might make more sense to use a DIY system, which can alert you to the alarm and you can have someone check it out since the police probably won’t be able to. Another factor is most DIY systems are cheaper than a major professional company and they usually don’t require a long contract. If you decide to use a DIY company I would check out SimpliSafe. I have used this company before and was pleased with the service and products.

If you want to use a major company I would look into ADT since they are one of the biggest companies in the market. They will install the system and provide monitoring for your system but typically do require a three-year contract.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.